This course is an introduction to tree fruit production. You will learn the basic principles of growing apples, pears, plums and cherries. Topics covered include:
• Selecting varieties and rootstocks
• What to look for when choosing a tree
• Planting and tree establishment
• Introductory principles on pruning (and some basic information of fruit tree training)
• Pollination and fruiting
• Storing fruit
• Pests and disease – identification and control
The tutor will use illustrated talks and discussion.
Booklist: Any good fruit growing book such as the RHS titles.
Timetable for one day courses
Students should arrive by 9am for registration.
Classes are from 9.15 - 5pm
Lunch is included.
Dr Sylvia Travers has worked in horticulture for 20 years, having studied at the Botanic Gardens in Dublin and at Reading University – with a detour to Denmark to complete a PhD in plant science. Sylvia currently works at RHS Bridgewater and oversaw the construction and planting of the Paradise and Kitchen gardens.
Places available - Book now