The goal of this creative weekend course is to help you with your overall understanding of planning and writing an entire original novel:
• A main plot that lasts from near the beginning to the very last page
• Compelling protagonists who are, themselves, gripped by the action
• Intense relationships (love affairs, business deals, physical combat, family life, etc.) where no one can entirely get their own way
• Vivid locations in time and space, creating more drama that the characters have to respond to
• A switchback of emotions, generated by twists and turns in the plot
• A clear understanding of the sort of book you want to write
With a careful mixture of tutor-led classes, individual study and collaborative writing, the course uses a variety of visual stimuli, including paintings, plenty of question-and-answer opportunities and lots of professional advice. To provide private writing time, one of the Saturday afternoon sessions is replaced by an extra, after-dinner session on Saturday evening. If you are a non-resident student, you may wish to book dinner on Saturday night to accommodate this session.
Arrival Day - this is the first date listed above
Courses start early evening. Residential students to arrive from 4pm, non-residential students to arrive by 6.45pm.
6.45pm: Welcome, followed by dinner (included).
8 - 9pm: First teaching session, attendance is essential.
Classes 9.15 - 5pm, lunch is included.
From 6.30pm: Dinner (included for residential students).
Evening working - students may have access to workshops until 9pm, but only with their tutor's permission and provided any health and safety guidelines are observed.
Classes 9.15am - 3pm, lunch is included.
Residential students are to vacate their rooms by 10am please.
(This timetable is for courses of more than one day in length. The tutor may make slight variations)
If you’re looking to complete the first draft of a novel and learn about the publishing process. The two-year, part-time MA Creative Writing and Publishing is taught by professional authors and visiting industry professionals. Find out more