The course begins with an introduction on ways to research sources of information relevant to your interests. This process will extend how you develop your own ideas from the evidence you gather in your research, including both primary and secondary sources.
We then focus on techniques to help you prepare, write, and review an essay:
* What constitutes effective writing – including the seven Cs and how to use them effectively
* How to structure and plan your essays
* Preparing your reading and using graphic organisers for note-taking and planning
* Signposting and using functional language to aid clarity
You will then apply this to write a 500-word draft essay which will be reviewed with peers.
By the end of the day, you will have increased knowledge and understanding of researching, structuring, and planning an essay.
* It is recommended that students have completed a minimum of five courses before attending this course.
Please be sure to be in the Zoom Room at 9.00am so the session can start promptly.
09.00 – 09.15 All students to join via Zoom
09.15 – 10.30 Session 1
10.30 – 11.00 Break
11.00 – 13.00 Session 2
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch
14.00 – 15.30 Session 3
15.30 – 16.00 Break
16.00 – 17.00 Session 4 and finish
All students are required to do the following preparation prior to attending the course.
– Identify an artwork by an artist that is well-known
– Make some notes about the work, the artist and what is of interest to you.
Colours – pens, pencils, highlighters
Reliable Wi-Fi, computer device with webcam and microphone to join the course Zoom Room.
You will also be using the internet to research.
FDAD Programme Coordinator
Tiffany Robinson studied interactive media for her MA (2005) making art films and immersive sci-art installations on perception and nanoscale. She is currently a tutor, mentor (The Art of Enquiry) and walking artist making intuitive drawings using natural and digital media. Her work deals with a post-modern estrangement from nature towards a being more than human through alignment with nature.