Starting with the intention of why we write and what we would like to improve in our handwriting, this taster course aims to discover a more authentic way to form letters and make our mark resulting in a more confident way to form letters. After gaining an understanding of what it is to form a letter and the intention behind making a mark, we will then progress through a series of handwriting excercises to improve confidence and form in your handwriting.
We will aim to produce a confidently written message, poem, phrase or letter by the end of the class by the following means:
- Series of loosening up exercises
- What is a letter?
- Playing with lettering as drawing
- Seeing letters in an abstract way
- Coordination of brain/eye/hand
- Posture and hand control
- Experimenting with different writing tools and the marks they create
- The connection between sound, meaning and mark
- Getting a flow with handwriting
- Slant, rhythm, pressure and scale
- Copying from exemplars and repeating forms to find a pleasing form
- Fountain pens vs dip pens vs fine liners
- Finding the right tool for the purpose
Timetable for one day courses
Students should arrive by 9am for registration.
Classes are from 9.15 - 5pm
Lunch is included.
Rosalind Wyatt trained initially in Calligraphy and Bookbinding then completed an MA at the RCA in textiles. She now works as a studio based artist in London. Calligraphy commissions include work for film and TV , interiors and fashion. She recently completed a calligraphic hand bound book for The National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington DC.