About this course
Make either a stylish pair of leaf earrings or a pendant by piercing, forming and texturing the metal with reticulation.
This course will enable both beginners and those with some
experience in working with metal the opportunity to create at least
one pair of earrings or a pendant utilising the techniques of
piercing, reticulation, forming and patination (optional). By
manipulating the metal using cutting and hammering this simple
technique can be used to create a stylish pair of earrings or a
During the course you will be shown how to cut, reticulate,
heat, hammer and finish sheet metal, and to manipulate wire.
The level of experience and complexity of ideas affects what can
be achieved in the time but you can complete at least one pair of
earrings or a pendant. The techniques are taught through practical
demonstrations with the emphasis on encouraging you to have a go
and to develop your own ideas.
Timetable for one day courses
Students should arrive by 9am for registration.
Classes are from 9.15 - 5pm
Lunch is included.
- Materials and tools required to make one pair of earrings or a
pendant are included in the course fee.
What students need to bring
- Leaf shapes for inspiration if you don't want to use the
- Sketchbook and/or technical notebook
- Pens, pencils and drawing materials
- If you have time to make more than one item you can purchase
silver from the College Shop. You can also bring your own silver
sheet if you wish for additional items should the time allow for
this - dimensions for silver required are: 40x55mm 0.6mm sterling
silver sheet, 80mm 0.8mm round wire.
- Practical clothing/apron/footwear for use in the workshop at
all times. For example: no long loose sleeves or dangly jewellery
and long hair must be tied back to avoid catching in machinery or
gas flames; shoes should not have high heels or open toes.
Available to buy
- Available from shop:
- A limited supply of sterling silver in a variety of forms:
sheet, wire and tubing
- There are basic tool kits for hire from the College Shop, who
also stock a range of tools and consumables such as saw blades,
drills and abrasive materials
- The College Shop also stocks a good range of art materials
Please note: Silver supplier: Argex Limited Tools, Precious
Metal: Cookson Precious Metals Note: Some bullion suppliers have
minimum order levels (e.g. £25). You may wish to check this before
placing an order.