Brittany and I finally finished the shagreen case, and in advance of her post about putting the tiny ship automaton back in I though I'd share some photos of just the box, while you can still see its insides! Because the box wasn't originally designed for covering in shagreen, you might remember we were stuck with what to do about the exposed edge of skin on the bottom part of the case.
In the end, a bit of skiver (really thin leather) did the trick, and was actually a pretty easy solution. We used epoxy to put down the edge of the shagreen in this area, to make really sure it wouldn't come up, then EVA to adhere the leather. Brittany added a silk lining to the inside lid, which will look like sky when the ship goes in. And here's the finished box: