Press Release: Late availability B&B accommodation for art lovers at West Dean College
West Dean College is a characterful period property with a rich arts history offering overnight bed and breakfast accommodation through a late-bookings system. The Grade II* Listed flint-faced building is the former home of Edward James, the wealthy philanthropist, poet and lifelong supporter of the arts. James is best remembered for his patronage of the Surrealists, including Salvador Dali, René Magritte and Leonora Carrington, and amassed the finest private collection of Surrealist art in the world during his lifetime. Set within the heart of the stunning South Downs landscape the House is home to the College, internationally renowned for teaching in Conservation and Creative Arts. Bookings for Bed & Breakfast accommodation are welcome within three months of arrival.
Bedrooms are mostly traditional in style with a small number of recently refurbished rooms decorated with a contemporary edge. All rooms have private bathrooms.
Overnight guests are welcome to explore the award-winning West Dean Gardens during their stay. Highlights include a 300-foot Edwardian Pergola designed by Harold Peto, 13 Victorian glasshouses, a Walled Kitchen Garden, orchards, arboretum, ornamental gardens, spring, wild and woodland gardens and the recently restored Sunken Garden.
West Dean College and Gardens are located in the South East of England and six miles north of the historic city of Chichester and within easy reach of the south coast harbours and beaches. There is convenient road access from London and from Gatwick, Southampton and Heathrow airports. It is within reach of the Eurotunnel connections as well as cross channel ferries from Portsmouth, Dover and Newhaven. The nearest railway station is Chichester (from London Victoria).
A weekend at West Dean College starts from £75 per room per night on a bed & breakfast basis. To book up to three months in advance visit www.westdean.org.uk telephone +44 (0)1243 811301 or email email@example.com.
Notes to editors
- West Dean Estate is part of the Edward James Foundation, a charitable trust No. 1126084, also comprising West Dean College, West Dean Gardens and the West Dean Tapestry Studio.
- Free car parking.
- The outdoor swimming pool is open May to September.
- West Dean Tapestry Studio, the only commercial studio in the UK, accepts commissions. The Studio has previously worked on commissions for the artist Tracey Emin, British Designer Faye Toogood and a 14 year project hand- woven tapestries recreating the 15th century The Hunt of the Unicorn and commissioned by Historic Scotland for Stirling Castle.
- West Dean College also offers over 700 short courses in arts and crafts.
- All photography is free to use for editorial purposes.