Press Release: The 24th West Dean College International Classical Guitar Festival and Summer School
The 24th International Classical Guitar Festival and Summer School will take place at West Dean College from 15 - 21 August, offering superb learning and performance opportunities for all classical guitar enthusiasts. Bursaries are available for 16 to 24 year old students to help with fees. The Summer School is supported by a series of events and concerts which are open to the public.
Director of the Guitar Festival and Summer School is Andrew Gough, Head of Guitar at Birmingham Conservatoire Junior Department. He has given recitals throughout the UK and is an orchestral guitarist with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.
Repertoire, technique classes and a variety of topics form the core teaching programme. Playing opportunities abound in the guitar orchestra, ensembles and student concerts. In addition guitarists receive two individual lessons and attend public recitals and masterclasses given by distinguished visiting artists and tutors including distinguished visiting artists and tutors including the Marcin Dylla, Morgan Szymanski, David Leisner, Amanda Cook, Chris Stell, Jan de Kloe, Alison Bendy, Gerald Garcia, The Arctic Guitar Trio, Janet and Raffaele Agostino.
INTERNATIONAL GUITAR FESTIVAL
OPEN DAY, MASTERCLASSES & CONCERTS
The Old Library, West Dean College, The Auditorium, West Dean Gardens and St Andrew's Church, West Dean. Sponsored by the D'Addario Foundation, José Ramirez and Classical Guitar Centre Ltd.
Concert by Marcin Dylla
Saturday August 15 8pm £15
Recital by Morgan Szymanski
Sunday August 16 6pm £5
Concert by David Leisner
Monday August 17 8pm £12
Concert by Amanda Cook
Tuesday August 18 8pm £12
Concert by Arctic Guitar Trio
Wednesday, August 19, 8pm £12
Guitar Open Day
Including exhibitions of music and instruments, a guitar makers' showcase, Masterclass with Marcin Dylla, lecture by Jan de Kloe and recital by Morgan zymanski. Sunday, August 16, 11.30am-7pm GC5721, £12
Season Ticket (entry for all four concerts and Open Day) £50
To book tickets online go to www.westdean.org.uk or call the Bookings line on 0844 49908
PRICES AND ACCOMMODATION
Six days Course fee £678 (non-residential, includes all meals and concert tickets). Accommodation is available from £240. Partners who are not attending courses are welcome to stay at the College, sharing your room on a resident only basis, priced at £75 per night full board. Please contact the Bookings Office on 0844 4994408 for further details about bursaries.
Notes to editors
- West Dean College is part of The Edward James Foundation which also comprises West Dean Gardens, West Dean Estate and the West Dean Tapestry Studio. Charity No. 1126084.
- The College runs over 700 short courses in arts and crafts in addition to a full time programme in Creative Arts, including Making Stringed Musical Instruments, and Conservation.
- West Dean College awards a number of scholarships and bursaries to talented students. For more information or to browse the digital brochure visit www.westdean.org.uk.
- All photography is free to use for editorial purposes.
- Any journalist interested in visiting the Gardens, attending a course or an event for news or review purposes should contact the Media Relations Team.
- West Dean College is situated on the A286, six miles north of Chichester and within easy access of Portsmouth, Guildford, Brighton and London.