Press Release: Jewellery making for beginners, short courses at West Dean College
Express yourself creatively by enamelling and making jewellery on a West Dean College short course. Enjoy the freedom of the award-winning gardens and be inspired by the landscape, architecture and interiors of West Dean. Work with like-minded people, relax and take a break from your daily routine. The College offers over 700 short courses in arts and crafts through the year, including Taster Courses for those who like to try different crafts and learn new skills.
Have fun working with seed beads, crystals and pearls and transform a plain old button into beautiful earrings, necklaces and brooches, using traditional beadwork techniques. Colourful beadwork jewellery (NEW 28 - 30 May Beginners/Intermediate £322).
Explore how metal moves under pressure and create fast and effective three-dimensional forms and decorative surface patterns for sheet metal by fold forming. Fold forming for jewellery and silversmithing (NEW 12 - 14 June Suitable for all £220).
Make individual and unusual jewellery by learning to cut and assemble Bullseye and dichroic glass (which undergoes a colour change in certain lighting conditions) for fusing in a kiln. Create rounds, uncut gems or cabochons, and then mount them onto silver findings. Making fused glass jewellery (10 - 12 July Weekend Suitable for all £268)
Discover the alchemy of enamelling by first practising on copper then progress to simple silver jewellery. Enamelling for beginners Sheila R McDonald (14 - 16 August £246).
Reshape old pieces of silver and gold jewellery, combine them with re-threaded antique beads and make striking new pieces to wear. Vintage jewellery: remake and upcycle with Sarah Drew (18 - 20 September Suitable for all £248).
Discover how to shape copper wire and create a variety of twisted wires using simple techniques to make into jewellery. Twisted wire rings and bracelets with Belinda Hager (25 - 27 September Suitable for all £225).
Create an individual piece of jewellery as you master the techniques of chain mail or ring-linking, using semi-precious stones or beads to add colour, pattern and detail. Re-linking with stones and beads for jewellery with Alison Evans (23 - 26 October Suitable for all £322).
ACCOMMODATION AT WEST DEAN
Wake up to beautiful views over the Sussex Downs in the stately splendour of a country mansion. The bedrooms are a mixture of contemporary and traditional styling. Student rates from £55 Bed & Breakfast. Non-students are also welcome to experience staying at West Dean with rates from £75.
For more information about Short Courses at West Dean and to browse the digital brochure visit www.westdean.org.uk. First time bookings receive a 10% discount (telephone bookings only call +44 (0)2143 818300).
Notes to editors
- West Dean College is part of The Edward James Foundation which also comprises West Dean Gardens, West Dean Estate and the West Dean Tapestry Studio. Charity No. 1126084.
- The award winning Gardens are open from 1 February - 20 December with special event days throughout the year; Mother's Day in the Gardens (15 March), Easter Egg Trails for children (1 - 6 April), Annual House Opening (9 & 10 May), Design and Craft Fair (19 - 21 June), 20th Anniversary Chilli Fiesta (7 - 9 August), Half Term Halloween activities (26 - 31 October) and Father Christmas visits (12 & 13 and 19 & 20 December).
- The College runs over 700 short courses in arts, crafts, gardening and music each year as well as full time postgraduate programmes in Conservation and Creative Arts.
- All photography is free to use for editorial purposes.
- Any journalist interested in visiting the Gardens, attending a course or an event for news or review purposes or filming at West Dean should contact the Media Relations team.
- West Dean College is situated on the A286, six miles north of Chichester and within easy access of Portsmouth, Guildford, Brighton and London.