Press Release: Mother’s Day West Dean Gardens, free entry for mum’s and children
West Dean Gardens is the perfect destination for an enjoyable family day out on Mother's Day (Sunday 6 March) to admire the show-stopping displays of over 500,000 naturalised spring bulbs. For this special day only the gardens are offering mother's FREE entry and a complimentary bunch of daffodils. Children go FREE all year round. Bring the whole family, including the dog, for a leisurely stroll through the emerging daffodils, crocuses and cowslips throughout the grounds and wild flower meadows. Explore the award-winning Sunken Garden at the eastern end of the Edwardian pergola and admire the fruit trees coming into blossom amid a carpet of primroses in the Walled Garden.
The Victorian glasshouses will be showing new growth on the peach, nectarines and vines and in the Kitchen Garden see the first protected plantings under cloches and the new plantings in the vegetable frames.
Explore the peaceful arboretum with its fine collection of trees and abundant spring displays of rhododendrons and azaleas and enjoy the breathtaking views of the South Downs and West Dean College. Afterwards browse the unique gifts and greetings cards in the Visit England-endorsed Gardens Shop and enjoy a delicious cream tea in the Gardens Restaurant.
Mother's Day gifts
Treat your mum to a One Day taster course at West Dean College (priced from £112) from basket making to pottery and jewellery-making to painting.
Gardens inspired by nature - ecological planting for a changing climate with horticulturist, designer and ecologist, Nigel Dunnett, and plantsman and designer, Olivier Filippi, (14 May Lecture £72 includes gardens entry and lunch) and The true cottage garden with cottage plant specialists and growers, Kim and Rob Hurst, (16 July Talk £25 includes gardens entry).
The college also offers gift vouchers for £10, £25, £50 or £100, which can be used as full or part payment towards a short course. Email bookings firstname.lastname@example.org.
West Dean Gardens is an oasis of peace and beauty; inspiring and tranquil. If your mum shares a passion for gardens treat her to a Friends membership for a gift to last all-year round. www.westdean.org.uk/friends.
For more information on what's on at West Dean Gardens and to browse the digital short course brochure visit wwww.westdean.org.uk.
Free parking. Free admission to Shop and Restaurant. Dogs on short leads welcome.
Notes to editors
- West Dean Gardens is part of the Edward James Foundation, a charitable trust, also comprising West Dean College, West Dean Estate and the West Dean Tapestry Studio. Charity No. 1126084.
- West Dean Gardens is marking 25 Years of Glorious Gardening in 2016.
- The Gardens are open from 1 February - 23 December with special event days throughout the year including the family-friendly summer Chilli Fiesta (5 - 7 August). See www.westdeangardens.org.uk for more information on events.
- All photography is free to use for editorial purposes.
- West Dean College and Gardens are situated on the A286, six miles north of Chichester and within easy access of Portsmouth, Guildford, Brighton and London.