Press Release: Enjoy a crafty weekend, Design and Craft Fair, featuring MADE 2016
Tickets to West Dean's popular Design and Craft Fair, featuring MADE (3, 4 & 5 June 10am to 5pm) are now available online. Early Bird booking £8 adult saves 20% on the standard price. Visitors have the opportunity to take part in hands-on creative workshops throughout the weekend. These mini sessions will be run by some of the college's specialist short course tutors, including basketmakers, jewellers, potters, artists, printers and sculptors, and offer the chance to experience what the college has to offer for just a small additional cost on top of the price of entry. The one and a half hour workshops are very popular and expected to book up fast and cost from £12.50 Adult Children's workshops £6. NEW for this year will be a printmaking area.
Alongside practical workshops there will be FREE craft demonstrations and talks. Around 100 innovative and contemporary makers and designers have been carefully selected to show and sell their work in 'The Marketplace'. Visitors will be able to make a day of it with plenty of delicious food and drink options, and enjoy live music. Free entry to the award-winning West Dean Gardens is also included in the price of entry.
Design and Craft Workshops
Session Times: 11.00 - 12.30, 13.30 - 15.00, 15.30 - 17.00
To view the full list of creative workshops from basketmaking to jewellery to embroidery to pottery, and much more, and to book a place visit www.westdean.org.uk/events.
(Advance booking online is recommended. An entry ticket to the event is also required and can be purchased online or at the event).
FRIDAY 3, SATURDAY 4 AND SUNDAY 5 JUNE
11.00 - 12.00, 13. 00 - 14.00, 15.00 - 16.00
Moving lobster puppet workshop
Handbuild a clay totem
Design a stained glass window
FREE demonstrations and talks include:
- Parallel lines in ceramics - a talk by ceramicist Chris Keenan. Chris trained as Edmund de Waal's first apprentice and exhibits in the UK and internationally.
- The immediacy of stone-carving - a talk by Paula Haughney, an experienced stone carver and sculptor who embarks on public commissions, including the first two heads of eight for a London Park in 2015.
- Crafting the impossible: a focus on haute couture commissions - Liz Clay, a practitioner and researcher of handmade felt whose work is held in the collections of Givenchy, Balenciaga amongst others.
Early Bird booking £8 adult saving 20% on the standard price of £10 adult (until 26 May). Entry ticket includes free entry to the award-winning West Dean Gardens. Workshops for adults from £12.50 (pre-book online). Children under 16 FREE entry to the event. Childrens' workshops £6.
To find out more about the weekend programme of free talks and demonstrations, to view the exhibitors' gallery and book tickets visit www.westdean.org.uk/events.
MADE comprises the established, high quality craft and design fairs which run annually in London and Brighton. The organisers of MADE will be curating the market place at the Design and Craft Fair at West Dean College. www.madelondon.org.
Wake up to beautiful views in the stately splendour of a historic country mansion. B & B accommodation double/twin from £85 per room per night subject to availability.
Notes to editors
- West Dean College is part of The Edward James Foundation also comprising West Dean Gardens, West Dean Estate and the West Dean Tapestry Studio. Charity No. 1126084.
- The internationally renowned West Dean College has a worldwide reputation for its quality of teaching in traditional and contemporary art and craft, and offers around 700 short courses each year. To browse the digital brochure visit www.westdean.org.uk.
- All photographs are free to use for editorial purposes.
- West Dean College and Gardens are situated on the A286, six miles north of Chichester and within easy access of Portsmouth, Guildford, Brighton and London.